Web Archives Project
The Queen's University web archives are now available for public consultation. Please visit the Queen's University Archive-It page at https://archive-it.org/home/queens_university_at_kingston to view website captures since July 2016. All website captures prior to this date can be viewed through the Internet Archives WayBackMachine at https://archive.org/web/.
The purpose of this pilot project is to establish user requirements for a web-archiving service at Queen’s, to test a common software tool used for such services at other Universities (Archive-It) and consider the policies, procedures and ongoing costs of an operational service to preserve a number of important Queen's University webpages, thereby ensuring the informational, evidential, and historical value provided by these pages is maintained while at the same time guaranteeing their authenticity. This project seeks:
- To manage, preserve, conserve, and make accessible the information assets of the University; in support of the teaching, research, service and administration of the University
- To fulfill the University’s legal mandate under FIPPA to ensure that reasonable measures respecting the records under control of the institution are developed, documented and put into place to preserve the records (FIPPA R.S.O 1990 - 10.1)
- To provide an excellent resource for history projects, text analysis and big data mining projects, experiential learning projects and digital humanities projects, such as Web Archives for Historians, International Internet Preservation Consortium, Web Archives for Historical Research – all of which use at least a portion of Archive-It data for their research
This project will initially capture the websites of the following areas:
- General Queen’s University website
- Administration and Governance
- News: Gazette and Journal
The Project will monitor the day to day operational requirements of the software and determine ongoing requirements for implementation Queen’s wide.
Information for Website Managers
We would love to hear from you! If you have any questions or concerns relating to this Web Archiving project, or if you manage a site that will change radically or is being decommissioned, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Archive-It web crawls respects robots.txt. If you manage pages that are not intended for long-term preservation in accordance with records management retention schedules, the Archive-It crawler can be blocked from capturing select pages by adding archive.org_bot to the disallow list.